Saturday, September 27, 2008

Shawn...Shawn, who?

I've been thinking about the history of the drunk dialing today. I think that it might have gone something like this.

Morse Code:

.... . -.-*--__-... .- -.*.. .__--. -*-- -__.--. .-.. .- -. ..*.

Early Telephone:

Operator: Operator, would you like to place a call?
Guy: ...Yes....*hic*...
.....
Operator: Sir? Where would you like to call?
Guy: Hey! You sound pretty, are you blond?
.....
Operator: *exasperated* Sir, do you want to make a call?
*hears a thunk*
Operator: Sir, are you alright?
.....
Police officer: Ma'am? Sorry he bothered you. We'll take it from here.
*hears muffled over the phone* "Alright Joe, back to the drunk tank. ... No, I won't hold your hand! You know the way.

Telephone:

Sue: *sleepily* Hello?
George: *hic* Hey!
Sue: George? Is that you?
George: *hic*
Sue: Is everything alright? It's 3 in the morning.
George: Your really pretty!
Sue: Get some sleep, George. *hangs up*

Cell Phone:

Karen: Bob, what's wrong?
Bob: Where are you?
Karen: It's 2 am! Where do you think? I'm in bed.
Bob: Want some company?
Karen: *Hangs up*

Now, the real reason for this post. Today I got a text at 2 am. It said, and I quote, "Hey girl how u been" I was miffed, to put it nicely. If you text me at 2 in the morning it had better be either a life/death situation, or I'm sleeping through the second coming. I'm flexible, either will work. The only thing I could think of was, "Who is this idiot, who woke me up at 2 to ask how I've been? And, do they seriously expect me to respond with anything other than 'asleep'?"

I was good, however, and asked who this poor fool was. I was even nice about it. His response, again I quote, "Shawn Is this that super fine girl from the fair" Again, I was good, and told him that he had the wrong number. I felt bad for him; it must be hard being that stupid. I hung up thinking, "Nobody is hot at 2 in the morning. Go to bed." The text he send back was gibberish (I believe that the general idea was that I am a cutie). It left no doubt in my mind that he was in high school, and I wasn't...haven't been in 10 years...and would kill myself before going back.

When did I get to be so old?

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Sory, next time I'll keep Sean off the cell phone. he does not make muchsence at two in the morning, but he does love to play!

I was wonce told that you grow old if you stop laughing... is that right?

Jeramie said...

I don't think that's quite true. I've seen old people laugh...it's kind of scary.

Jes said...

Does this mean I'm *not* supposed to give our your number when I go to the state fair? Good to know.

Jeramie said...

LOL! Only if you ask better screening questions.

Jes said...

Funny side note: gmail now has an option you can turn on to stop yourself from drunk emailing. It's under Settings and Labs. If you turn it on it will require correct answers to three simple math questions before the email can be sent.

Google, please find a way to install this on Shawn's phone.