Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It's just a movie?

Do you watch How I Met Your Mother? It comes on right after Big Bang Theory, which has to be the funniest TV show ever made. It provides quite the intercostal workout. Anyway...I digress.

This week's episode had Ted introducing his new fiance to Star Wars, his all time favorite movie. As with anyone who is over 25 and sees Star Wars for the first time, she hated it. She told to Ted's best friend how stupid the movie was. He explained to her that Star Wars is extremely important to Ted, and she would have to pretend to like it for the rest of her life. That's when I said it. I said the unforgivable. I said..."It's just a movie." To Nick: a generation may identify with believes, ideas, philosophies, and concepts put forth in a particular movie; but the movie itself is just a movie. Yes, this also includes The Lord of The Rings Trilogy and the Star Trek Saga (two cinematic giants that I am very passionate about).

However, as bad as my sin apparently is (I have yet to be forgiven), I believe that the first unpardonable sin was Nick's. He assumed that just because I am an avid Star Trek fan, that I like Star Wars. To me this is like saying, "Oh, you like oranges; you must like kumquats then." In my opinion, Star Wars makes an enormous mistake. It assigns morality to things that are not sentient, ie: the force. How can a force, or power, be evil? How can it have a dark side? I can understand that it can be used to do evil, but does that make the power in itself evil? Should you forgo areas of research and learning because they can be misused? I don't have answers, I only have beliefs. Beliefs which are different enough to those in Star Wars that I don't like it.

That, and no matter what anyone says, I will go to my grave saying that Star Wars is fantasy, not science fiction.

5 comments:

Jes said...

I like oranges and kumquats. And I can't watch "Star Trek" and not fall asleep.

At least this time you didn't throw it into the fire.

Jes said...

And, yes, it's just a movie. From what I've heard. I haven't seen the original three. (Numbers four, five, and six.)

Jeramie said...

I love oranges, but kumquats are too bitter for me.

At least I got to play in the fire for that sin. For this one, all I got was an incredulous look. That can be satisfying, but not when compared to fire.

I think that I've seen all but number five. I just don't see what there is to love. Maybe it's all in five?

Jenn said...

nope. it is not in five! i own all six and.... it is just a movie.
In fact, i think it is a dumb movie. sory, do i get to go play in fire?!...:D...please it is so much fun!
to be non-discriminate, the loard of the rings and all star- treck movies are just dumb movies also.

Jeramie said...

LOL! That's just mean. There is a lot of intelligence in "The Lord of the Rings" and "Star Trek." To be fair, there is even some intelligence in "Star Wars."