Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Would You Call?

Dealing with tech support these past few months has reminded me, and probably them, of just why I hate dealing with them. As a pick-me-up I like to look up the stupid things that people call tech support for. I do this for several reasons.
  1. I don't feel quite as stupid when the reason I called for turns out to be stupid.
  2. It make me feel better when they don't understand what I am saying.
  3. I don't get as frustrated when they can't find a way to fix my problem.
I make no claims to superior computer skills. I once called tech support to have them help me find where the experiment I just ran was saved, because it certainly wasn't where I told it to wait for me. While he was asking for help, I started to randomly search folders--and found it. For this reason (and others we don't need to get into), I frequently classify myself as computer illiterate. However I do know:
  1. How to turn the computer on
  2. How to use a mouse and
  3. What a screen saver is.
Considering that these are the problems people call in for, don't you wonder about all of the problems that don't get called in? Recently an e-mail was forwarded to me describing this very same situation. I can't give it the justice it deserves, so I will refer you to the original story. Truly, I laughed until I cried!

No comments: